Roxie vs. Japan

All things related to living in Japan.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madrid, Spain

I am actively trying to find my home. I lived in Kanazawa, Japan for almost 3 years and now live in Madrid, Spain.

Monday, March 13, 2006

first bus out of town!

I was having trouble booking a trek from pai. Its low season, hot, no one wants to trek, except me, apparantly. So, somewhat on a whim, i left. I'm back in Chang Mai, found a room at the Top North Guesthouse, where the room won't change your life, pretty ugly actually, but they have a POOL! for 300 baht, ugly room, but POOL! and i think i have written about the heat. so no need to rehash how ungodly hot it is here! So, i have been here just under 2 hours, and have had a swim, booked a trek for tomorrow and am back at my favorite little internet place, where its air conditioned and I can drink coffee and see the old gate. damn, its good to be back in the city!

Being in pai, I was turning into one of them. lazing about, wandering around town (i honestly can't figure out what i did for the last 4 days - and i wasn't drunk or stoned, so it wasn't that), nice, but watch out - if you stay too long, you may get bitten by the pai vampires and never leave... like many of the westerners who now populate the town. Don't get me wrong, people who live there do work and may actually get loads done. but travelers seem to get sucked in like a black hole. i met a finnish girl who had been there 3 weeks, an australian girl the same, and then there are the people who fall in love and then never leave. interesting thing about pai - in the rest of thailand, you see western men with thai women. in pai, lots of western women and thai guys. (they are quite handsome i must say).

other than my sudden decision to get out of dodge, I open my email inbox only to discover word from work. a student filed a grade complaint. Just brought me back to work. which i haven't really thought about at all. i must admit that the very idea of going back into those grey dark halls does not fill me with glee. vacation, gotta love it, but, then the sudden smack of the end... ouch, it hurts. especially since almost everyone i meet is on a year long travel sojourn. a lovely english couple on the minibus back to chang mai just spent 3 and half months in india. they sold their house, all their belongings and are now in the midst of a year long travel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roxie said...

that english couple, and then on the trek i met another english couple, will travel for a year in total. then go back to england and find work and just start again. maybe live with family...

the single travelers who are traveling for a year will all go back and live with thier folks until they get enough money together to go out on their own again. not sure about the couples.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home